I got my work laptop environment finally squared away and today was the first attempt to update my instances of SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer and Express to CU3. Yes I know the post title say CU6, trust me I’ll get to that in a moment. Originally I was going to update to CU3 reason being because it addressed an issue I was experiencing with creating, adding or editing SQL Agent jobs in SSMS. Matter of fact here is the Microsoft article address: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2315727
Here is the specific error I received when I attempted to edit an agent job.
Related Connect feedback
So I downloaded CU3 from Microsoft.
- Cumulative Update package 1 for SQL Server 2008 R2
- Cumulative Update package 2 for SQL Server 2008 R2
- Cumulative Update package 3 for SQL Server 2008 R2
- Cumulative Update package 4 for SQL Server 2008 R2
- Cumulative Update package 5 for SQL Server 2008 R2
- Cumulative Update package 6 for SQL Server 2008 R2
When I tried to apply CU3 I encountered an error which basically suggested that I had to uninstall SQL Native Client because it was not installed via sqlcnli.msi. Here is the url that the error pointed me to.
Needless to say I decided to reboot hoping that would some how, some way correct the issue auto-magically. WRONG! So I decided (executive decision) to push forward and apply CU6. See I told you I would eventually get to it! Well I downloaded CU6 and attempted to install and ran into another error.
Here is the full Summary.txt
Well again I tried a reboot and that did not work, so I surfed around and then stumbled on a post by Jonathan Kehayias (@SQLSarg | blog) titled: SQL Server 2008 failed installation blocks Service Pack 1 (SP1) installation. He essentially performed a repair which resolved his issue so I felt inclined to do the same and BOOM… CU6 applied oh so nicely. I cannot say if this will help you, but it helped me. Both my Dev and Express editions are at CU6 so I am a happy camper.